Author of CTAN's redirector (was: Apple/Safari being picky about redirects for CTAN mirrors)

Petra Ruebe-Pugliese petra at ctan.org
Wed May 1 16:20:14 CEST 2019

On Wed 01 May 2019 at 13:35:14 +0000  Taylor, P <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Petra Ruebe-Pugliese wrote:
 [...]
>  CTAN's mirror redirector software was written ages ago, by an
>  author who is now long dead.
>

> I don't know who that author was, but given that almost the entire TeX community benefits from his/her work, I would personally prefer that the above be expressed as "... was written long ago by XXX YYY who is sadly no longer with us but to whom we owe a very great debt of gratitude".

 You are of course right.  Sorry if I expressed myself badly,
 but English is not my mother tongue.
 And I'm afraid I had truly forgotten the name.  (I was not
 on the CTAN team at the time and only learned the story
 indirectly.)
 I have now looked it up:  The author of the CTAN redirector
 was Randy Kobes, who died in September 2010.  (At least that
 is the information I found in the depths of my Computer.)

 So:
 CTAN's mirror redirector software was written long ago by Randy
 Kobes who is sadly no longer with us but to whom we owe a very
 great debt of gratitude.

    Petra

--
Please send messages to ctan at ctan.org in English only.
Please do not send HTML messages, they are held in our spam filter.