pretesting please

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 31 15:32:43 CEST 2019

Since we don't seem to be making much progress with the various bugs I
have reported concerning TeX Live 2019 (pre-test), I though that as I
was in the office today I might see whether I can replicate these
problems on another Win-7 64-bit machine.  I then realised that even to
test the most basic functionality (can I install to locations of my
choice, can I successfully run TLMGR as other than Administrator, are
TeXdoc and TeXdocTK functional, ...), I have to download ("Rsynch") the
entire pre-test repository.

Given that testing the infrastructure and testing the layered products
are very different exercises, might it not be better to start the
pre-test phase by populating the pre-test repository with only the
/*necessary*/ and */sufficient/* (infrastructure) components, adding the
layered products (packages, class files, fonts, etc) only once the
infrastructure has been widely tested and proved robust ?

Philip Taylor
--------