Open linker issues on FreeBSD

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 09:13:49 CET 2019

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 at 22:20, Karl Berry wrote:

>     incorrectly linked executables on FreeBSD
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> I don't use FreeBSD, so I can't solve it, sorry. I can only report that
> Nikola compiled last year's binaries on FreeBSD 10.
> http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-2018/
>
> whereas this year's binaries are compiled by Mojca on FreeBSD 11.
> http://dl.contextgarden.net/build/texlive/
> http://build.contextgarden.net/waterfall?tag=c/texlive
>
> I'm only guessing, but it sounds like using shared lib foo.x on an older
> system may fail on the newest system because only .x+1 is available, or
> because of indirect dependencies (likely through fontconfig) on .x or .x+1.
>
> I hope Nikola or Mojca can reply with more facts/help. --best, karl.

Asy rebuild has not been attempted yet (and I experience the same
issues with the old binary; which wouldn't even work as it's an old
version anyway).

However I'm unable to reproduce the problem on xetex. For me it links
against libfreetype 6.

How old is this report / attempt? Can the binaries (other than asy and
xindy) be checked again?

Mojca