installer message about /usr/local/texlive/2019 not being writable

Christophe Jorssen jorssen.leraincy at free.fr
Sun Mar 24 18:36:33 CET 2019

Le sam. 23 mars 2019 à 10:43, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> a écrit :

> Would it make sense to provide a script,
>
> create-texlive-directory-at-default-location.sh,
>
> which would attempt to create a writable /usr/local/texlive,
> if that fails prompt the user
>
> /usr/local/texlive does not exist and can't be created (rerun as sudo to
> create)
> /usr/local/texlive exists but is not writable/executable (rerun as sudo to
> modify access rights)
> /usr/local/texlive exists and is writable/executable, sub-directory 2019
> created (you can proceed with ./install-tl)
>
> In first two cases the sudo run would create the /usr/local/texlive then
> handover the access rights from root to the user, although I am not versed
> enough into those matters to know if the sudo executed script can recover
> the own:grp of the non-sudo user who issued sudo

I know for years it is bad to install texlive with sudo. Nonetheless, I
always end up installing it with sudo as I get the kind of messages
Jean-François described (I'm an average linux user). So thank you for
bringing this topic once again: now I understand what to do.

For the average user like me, I kindly suggest to support Jean-François's
proposal for a script and/or to modify install-tl in order to make the
process easier to understand.

BTW, thank for all the work done for TeXlive.

Best regards

--
Christophe