pretesting please

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Sun Mar 24 11:00:51 CET 2019

Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

Just try. The effect on the installer interface is immediate.

OK, I may try that.  But in the meantime I am performing a binary search on all TeX Lives from 2008 to date in order to find the year in which our Lexicon of Abbreviations & Ligatures in Greek Minuscule Hands ceased to compile, and to facilitate this I now have a new hierarchy, C:\TeX\Legacy\<year>.  If I move all older instances of TeX Live from C:\TeX\Live to C:\TeX\Legacy, do you think that use of the portable installation will still be necessary for TeX Live 2019 ?

Anyhow, you should be able to define custom locations of trees in
<TL_root>/texmf.cnf.

OK, noted.  Thank you.

tlshell checks the registry whether it needs privilege escalation,
and does some murky process token stuff to check whether it has
administrative permissions.

I guess that tlshell does not find the relevant registry entry,
otherwise you would have gotten a UAC prompt.

Maybe it was a search path problem, which should be fixed in the
latest upload.

OK, since this is purely for testing purposes I will probably delete everything under C:\TeX\Live\2019, re-rsynch, start again and report back.

Or maybe the TL tree is read-only for non-adminstrators, although I
think that would have led to different symptoms.

Well, in the past I have always installed as Administrator, but that has led to so many problems that this year I installed as myself (an intentionally non-privileged user).  I shall continue to use the latter option unless advised otherwise.  But is there really no debugging switch/aid/tool(s) for "tlshell" ?

** Phil.