installer message about /usr/local/texlive/2019 not being writable

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Sat Mar 23 08:54:32 CET 2019

Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> Before installing TL many years ago I created /usr/local/texlive as
> root and changed its ownership to me. Thus /usr/local is not writable
> but /usr/local/texlive is and installation works.
I cannot see how these two statements can be reconciled.  If "we" check
the grand-parent folder (/usr/local) for writability, and Zdeněk's
/usr/local is not writable, then theTeX Live installer should report
that /usr/local/texlive/2019 is not writable and refused to proceed.

Norbert Preining also wrote:
> [JFBU wrote]
>> install-tl warned me about /usr/local/texlive/2019 not being writable
>> but in fact, of course, there wasn't even /usr/local/texlive to start with
> This has been the same since about 10+ years. We check the grand-parent
> folder (/usr/local) for writability.
>
> The message is correct, it is not writable and cannot be created.
If, as in JFBU's case, /usr/local/texlive/2019 does not exist, then by
definition it is both writable and non-writable, since the empty set has
all properties.  Thus the message is only partially correct, and is most
certainly confusing.  "Does not exist and cannot be created" would be
the correct diagnostic in these circumstances,

Philip Taylor