English messages

Simon Dales simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 10:06:36 CET 2019

On Thu, 2019-03-21 at 15:57 -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     * As "GUI" means graphical user interface, "GUI interface" might be a bit
>     redundant.
>
> It is completely redundant, but nevertheless common usage in English. If
> it feels better in other languages to leave out "interface", by all
> means do so.

Should we be perpetuating this "error"[1]?

Anybody who uses TeX will be ahead of the curve, so will know the
correct form. I suppose Norbert could for an amble up Mount Fujiyama,
having got some cash from an ATM machine.

Ideally add to our house style rules?

Whatever.
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

Simon