pretesting please

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 17:33:30 CET 2019

Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> It looks like the output from a stack trace. It means that tlshell
> failed to start tlmgr.
>
> I recall you mentioning that you keep several TeX Live distributions
> on your system. It might be safer to do portable installations,
> which by design do not get in each other's way. The file
> tl-tray-menu.exe in the installation root creates a temporary tray
> menu as a substitute for the TL menu under the start menu.

OK, thank you for that feedback/suggestion Siep.  If I use a portable
installation, I remember the installer warning me that it might modify
some of my pre-specified locations.  In what circumstances would it do
that, and could it still share C:\TeX\Live\TeX-MF\Local, from where my
(mandatory) support for Hebrew originates ?  And is there a tracing
option by which I/we might learn more about why TLSHELL is (apparently)
failing to start TLMGR ?  I find that if I launch it from the command
line (as "tlshell --debug"), it demands privilege elevation.

** Phil.