pretesting please

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Thu Mar 21 11:29:41 CET 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 09:58:27AM +0000, Taylor, P wrote:
> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 03:34:24PM +0000, Taylor, P wrote:
> >>    3.  TLMGR is completely dysfunctional (see attached screenshot).  After clicking "OK", it just disappears.  If the screenshot is not visible, it reads
> >>
> >>      (i) Level 1: initialise
> >>          Level 2: start_tlmgr
> > Cannot reproduce; no clue.
>
> OK, thank you for testing.  Following an earlier message by a user who
> had successfully launch TLMGR as Administrator, I tried that and it
> worked; however, trying to launch it as myself (the person who installed
> TeX Live, and who did not use "Install as administrator") I consistently
> provokes the behaviour previously described.  Are you able to locate
> those two strings in the source files ?  Their location may provide a
> clue ...

It looks like the output from a stack trace. It means that tlshell
failed to start tlmgr.

I recall you mentioning that you keep several TeX Live distributions
on your system. It might be safer to do portable installations,
which by design do not get in each other's way. The file
tl-tray-menu.exe in the installation root creates a temporary tray
menu as a substitute for the TL menu under the start menu.

--
Siep Kroonenberg