Linux .desktop equivalents to Windows Start menu shortcuts

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Mar 20 11:07:12 CET 2019

Hi Zdenek,

> I have two small bash scripts, one for a menu, one for a desktop icon.
> Of course, both can be done in a single script, it was just a test. I
> have also the .desktop files but for a dummy application, I was only
> looking for a working test.

What does the shell script(s) do? Generate a .desktop file, but for
which program?

> As I found, if the .desktop files are just copied to the directories,
> they do not work, it is necessary to restart X. If xdg-install-menu
> and xdg-install-icon are used, they work immediatelly.

On Debian it works. This is distribution specific. Even if I put a
.desktop file into /usr/local/share/applications/ I automatically get it
working. Same under $HOME.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer