[pretest] tlmgr --gui aborts with error

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Wed Mar 20 10:26:46 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:08:19AM +0100, Uwe Siart wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I don't know whether this is a bug or whether I'm just trying to use it
> the wrong way. Upon "tlmgr --gui" in the command window (Win7, run as
> Administrator) I get the following:
>
> C:\>tlmgr --gui
> Event.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 01E9D844, needed 00000000)
>
> C:\>tlmgr --gui update
> tlmgr.pl update: specify --list, --all, --self, or a list of package names.
> tlmgr.pl: An error has occurred. See above messages. Exiting.
>
> C:\>tlmgr --gui update --list
> tlmgr.pl: package repository ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/local/tlpretest (not verified: gpg unavailable)
> tlmgr.pl: no updates available

What happened is that tlmgr tried to run with the perltk GUI
interface and that it found last year's perltk, which really should
not be there anymore, and which does not work with this year's perl.

Try tlshell instead, which is what the TeX Live Manager menu
shortcut points to.

I guess I should edit tlmgr.bat to issue a warning and bail out if a
-gui parameter was given.

--
Siep Kroonenberg