pretesting please

Hoffmann, Jobst j.hoffmann at fh-aachen.de
Wed Mar 20 10:25:46 CET 2019

Am Dienstag, den 19.03.2019, 14:50 +0100 schrieb Siep Kroonenberg:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 05:16:49PM +0000, Hoffmann, Jobst wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 16.03.2019, 16:53 -0600 schrieb Karl Berry:
> > > Hi everyone - if you have any chance of installing the TL pretest
> > > and
> > > trying it out on your documents, please do!
> > > http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html
> > >
> > > Please report any problems, and thanks,
> >
> > I've installed TeXLive 2019 on a virtual Windows 10 machine running
> > on a
> > Linux host (Fedora 29).
> >
> > I wanted to update my installation by using the TL Shell. The window
> > shows "tlmgr need update". I clicked on Help->tlmgr help, clicking
> > on
> > "close" ended with an error message - I didn't save the screen shot,
> > but
> > this error appeared late on under other circumstances.
> >
> > Bug: The title bar of the help window shows "tlmg" instead of
> > "tlmgr".
> >
> > Then I did the following steps:
> > 1. I clicked on "update tlmgr" (step_01.png)
> > 2. Looking at the logs, all seemed to work fine -> tlmgr restarting
> > (step_02.png).
> > 3. Looking at possible errors, I found the common message (Backup
> > not
> > implemented...), I wanted to close the window. An error message
> > popped
> > up (step_03a.png, step_03b.png).
> > 4. A second try closed the error window, but TL Shell still shows
> > "needs
> > update" (step_04.png).
> > 5. I clicked on "update tlmgr" again, output and error log were
> > looking
> > good again, the window can be closed (step_05a.png, step_05b.png,
> > step_05c.png),
> > 6. but now no button is active (step_06.png).
> > 7. Rebooting the VM produced the same behavior as before, the logs
> > seem
> > to be fine, the pop up window can be closed directly (step_07.png).
> > feel like living on groundhog day...
>
> I hope that this is solved with today's update of tlshell, which
> should show up tomorrow in the pretest repositories.

Just tested it, seems to work fine. But I have three other points:
1. I agree with Bernhard Kleine, that "warte..." isn't the correct
translation/doesn't have the meaning of "idle..."
2. Why are messages like "running mktexlsr ..." shown under the error
tab in the Logs window. From my point of view these messages belong to
the standard output. Only the text following "Übersprungen, da nicht
installiert" should go into the error tab.
3. Today I had a long list of updates, so the tlmgr command had a long
argument list. This increased the TeX Live Shell window to the right and
I got an annoying large window. Is it possible to break the command line
into small portions to prevent the increase of window area?

--
Prof. Dr. Jobst Hoffmann            Tel:   +49 (241) 6009-5 31 59
Fachhochschule Aachen Abt. Jülich   Fax:   +49 (241) 6009-5 31 89
Fachbereich 09                      email: j.hoffmann at fh-aachen.de