Linux .desktop equivalents to Windows Start menu shortcuts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 09:42:28 CET 2019

st 20. 3. 2019 v 7:29 odesílatel Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> napsal:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> > I tried to create menu entries and .desktop files by an installer
> > script for another project, I have it in bash. If the TL developers
> > like, I can make them available.
>
> You mean the scripts, or the .desktop files, or something else?

I have two small bash scripts, one for a menu, one for a desktop icon.
Of course, both can be done in a single script, it was just a test. I
have also the .desktop files but for a dummy application, I was only
looking for a working test.

> I am not sure what we could/should do with them, though ...
> We could leave it to the user to install them into
> $XDG_CONFIG/share/applications or similar.

As I found, if the .desktop files are just copied to the directories,
they do not work, it is necessary to restart X. If xdg-install-menu
and xdg-install-icon are used, they work immediatelly.

> Best
>
> Norbert

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz