pretesting please

Hoffmann, Jobst j.hoffmann at fh-aachen.de
Mon Mar 18 18:16:49 CET 2019

Am Samstag, den 16.03.2019, 16:53 -0600 schrieb Karl Berry:
> Hi everyone - if you have any chance of installing the TL pretest and
> trying it out on your documents, please do!
> http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html
>

> Please report any problems, and thanks,

I've installed TeXLive 2019 on a virtual Windows 10 machine running on a
Linux host (Fedora 29).

I wanted to update my installation by using the TL Shell. The window
shows "tlmgr need update". I clicked on Help->tlmgr help, clicking on
"close" ended with an error message - I didn't save the screen shot, but
this error appeared late on under other circumstances.

Bug: The title bar of the help window shows "tlmg" instead of "tlmgr".

Then I did the following steps:
1. I clicked on "update tlmgr" (step_01.png)
2. Looking at the logs, all seemed to work fine -> tlmgr restarting
(step_02.png).
3. Looking at possible errors, I found the common message (Backup not
implemented...), I wanted to close the window. An error message popped
up (step_03a.png, step_03b.png).
4. A second try closed the error window, but TL Shell still shows "needs
update" (step_04.png).
5. I clicked on "update tlmgr" again, output and error log were looking
good again, the window can be closed (step_05a.png, step_05b.png,
step_05c.png),
6. but now no button is active (step_06.png).
7. Rebooting the VM produced the same behavior as before, the logs seem
to be fine, the pop up window can be closed directly (step_07.png). I
feel like living on groundhog day...

> Karl

Best wishes
Jobst
--
Prof. Dr. Jobst Hoffmann            Tel:   +49 (241) 6009-5 31 59
Fachhochschule Aachen Abt. Jülich   Fax:   +49 (241) 6009-5 31 89
Fachbereich 09                      email: j.hoffmann at fh-aachen.de