tlmgr: temporary directories not cleaned up

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Thu Mar 7 13:03:04 CET 2019

Hi Norbert,

the mystery remains, but we are getting closer. On tuesday, I did
another two installations of TL19 pretest, on Debian stable and
FreeBSD, and waited until now for packages to be updated.

When nothing is to be done, the temporary directories are deleted just
after tlmgr finishes.

Today, there were package updates AND a new texlive.infra (50211 ->
50251), and on both new platforms, the folders in question remained…

# Debian
drwx------ 5 name group 4.0K Mar  7 12:00 /tmp/user/$UID/Ooo7GNPvoU/
# FreeBSD, $TEMP not set
drwx------ 5 name group  512 Mar  7 12:27 /tmp/Uptddrbh1_

containing a few empty folders, texlive.tlpdb, and the checksum of
texlive.tlpdb

On the third box, I ran --self and --all separately, and temporaries
were deleted properly.
But temporary files are always left over whenever tlmgr is invoked with
`--self --all` AND an texlive.infra update is installed.
I can reproduce this behaviour on all three boxes, either when package
updates come in, or with a rollback (`tlmgr restore --all` or `tlmgr
restore texlive.infra 50211`) from the now well-working backups.

My best explanation for this: at the moment where tlmgr is automatically
restarted after texlive.infra updates, it forgets to tidy up its
temporary folders.

BTW: I found such a directory dated May 2018 (for TL18-release updates;
I can't say any more if this has been a regular update or tlmgr just
crashed back then), so maybe this issue is not new to TL2019.

Best,
Johannes