FC_WEIGHT didn't match

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed Mar 6 09:38:20 CET 2019

Hi Michael,

Le 6 mars 2019 à 07:09, Michael Shell <list1 at michaelshell.org> a écrit :

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 20:56:16 -0400
> "George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the above code fragment is for ghostscript compiled with
>> fontconfig support,
>

> Yep, FWIW I found this:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53995701/errors-using-ps2ascii-on-some-files
>
>> From "KenS":
>
> "The actual answer to your question is 'don't worry about it'.
>
>  FC_WEIGHT refers to the weight of a font (light, bold, regular, ExtraBold
>  etc). This message can *only* arise when you are using FontConfig, and
>  Ghostscript is enumerating the available fonts from font config, trying
>  to find a match for a missing font in the input. This means that a
>  candidate font did not match the target font's weight.
>
>  Since you aren't going to use the font, it doesn't affect you.
> "

ah ok FC thus means FontConfig.

On my system I also have a 9.21 gs, (a Fink installed one)

$ /sw/bin/gs --help
GPL Ghostscript 9.21 (2017-03-16)
Copyright (C) 2017 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Ghostscript is also using fontconfig to search for font files
For more information, see /sw/share/ghostscript/9.21/doc/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.

which uses fontconfig

$ which -a fc-list
/opt/local/bin/fc-list
/sw/bin/fc-list
/opt/X11/bin/fc-list

but its ps2pdf does not report a FC_WEIGHT problem.

I got the "problem" with Ghostscript 9.23 and TeXLive 2018 and now with
Ghostscript 9.26 (in conjunction with TeXLive 2018, and with TeXLive 2019 pretest)
which got installed on my Mac OS via MacPorts.

However I do not seem to have any fontconfig generated database files in my $HOME.

I presume MacTeX distribution of TeXLive comes with own Ghostscript build
and will not display the issue ?

Jean-François