Aw: Re: Undesirable nul file with tlmgr.bat under Windows

"Torsten Schütze" Torsten.Schuetze at gmx.net
Fri Jul 12 08:28:25 CEST 2019

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019, "Norbert Preining" wrote:

> It would be great to find out *which* part of the code generates the nul
> file.
>
> Can you please open the tlmgr shell
> 	tlmgr shell
> and at the prompt type the following commands, and at each step check
> whether the file has been created or not. Thanks
> 	load local
> 	load remote
> 	update --list

$ tlmgr.bat shell
protocol 1
tlmgr> load local
OK
tlmgr> load remote

C:\TeX\texmf-dist\scripts\texlive\tlmgr.pl: TLPDB::from_file could not download https://ctan.kako-dev.de/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb;
C:\TeX\texmf-dist\scripts\texlive\tlmgr.pl: maybe the repository setting should be changed.

So, in this particular case I could not download the tlpdp, but at least the second step generated the nul file (of size 0).

Once again

$ tlmgr.bat shell
protocol 1
tlmgr> load local
OK
tlmgr> load remote
tlmgr.pl: package repository http://ftp.fernuni-hagen.de/ftp-dir/pub/mirrors/www.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)
OK
tlmgr>

Now I get a nul file of size 9189 byte from the second step, load remote. I suppose its somewhere at the beginning of load remote since it is the starting page of the CTAN mirror.

Regards,
  Torsten