cannot update TeXlive, nor use LaTeX

Rick Voland rvoland at tds.net
Thu Jul 4 11:50:12 CEST 2019

I understand thanks, but then TeX Live Manager GUI completely refused to start (never came up at all when I clicked on the icon).  I tried completely uninstalling my antivirus, but no change.  So, I completely uninstalled TeXlive 2019, deleted the 2019 directory completely, and did a fresh install from the same DVD I used to install when TeXlive 2019 was released a few months ago.

The fresh install went fine.  TeX Live Manager GUI started just fine.  I used TeX Live Manager GUI to install all the updates.  First, I twice had to run
tlmgr update --self
from a windows command line and all went fine.  Then, I used TeX Live Manager GUI to install all the latest package updates.  That went fine except that I no longer have icons for TeX Live Manager GUI.  I thought there used to be a
tlmgr.exe
in the bin/win32 directory.  I still have a
tlmgr.bat

Now, I can run TeXworks to process documents, but I have no TeX Live Manager to do updates.

I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rick