cannot update TeXlive, nor use LaTeX

Rick Voland rvoland at tds.net
Tue Jul 2 03:01:24 CEST 2019

TeXlive 2019 running on Windows 7

I am unable to update using TeX Live Manager.  Also, I cannot use LaTeX, not using TeXworks editor (pdfLaTeX), not using latex from command line.  These problems started around June 26.

TeX Live Manager starts, but cannot find a repository and gives the following message:

can't read "::active_cls": no such variable
can't read "::active_cls": no such variable
    while executing
"if {[winfo class $c] in $::active_cls} {
        $c state !disabled
      }"
    (procedure "total_dis_enable" line 21)
    invoked from within
"total_dis_enable 1 "
    (procedure "read_line" line 26)
    invoked from within
"read_line"

Several times, I downloaded and installed
update-tlmgr-latest.exe
this installs with no errors.

TeXworks starts fine with no errors until I try to latex a document.
When I try to latex the default
article.tex
(with no edits)
it fails when it cannot find geometry.sty
I get the same error either in TeXworks or running latex from commandline.

------

Thanks,

Rick