Bug with the latest texlive installer on Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Mon Jul 1 21:25:40 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:48:34AM +0200, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 04:17:03PM -0700, rhn.grg at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed this issue with the latest texlive GUI installer on a Windows 10
> > PC. It seems like the texlive installer doesn't handle spaces in program
> > paths correctly. It works only after copying the texlive install directory
> > (install-tl-20190627) to a path that doesn't have spaces.
> > 1852   # start install-tl-[tcl] via a pipe.
> > 1853   set cmd [list "|${::perlbin}" "${::instroot}/install-tl" \
> > 1854                "-from_ext_gui" {*}$::argv 2>@1]
> > 1855   show_time "opening pipe"
> > 1856   if [catch {open $cmd r+} ::inst] {
> > 1857     err_exit "Error starting Perl backend"
> > 1858   }
> >
> > I'm not that familiar with Tcl/Tk, but perhaps the paths to $perlbin and to
> > $install-tl need to be sanitized/quoted in line 1853? I tried adding the
> > quotes (using \"), but it didn't work for me; perhaps, someone more
> > familiar with Tcl/Tk can fix this.
>
> I'll look into it. Thanks for the report.

Fixed in r51519.

It requires some acrobatics to deal with windows' non-standard
command-line parsing, and the tcl/tk wiki devotes a long page to it
(https://blog.tcl.tk/16336). In the end, I simply replaced the full
path of perl.exe with just "perl.exe", since the batchfile wrapper
already put perl.exe on the searchpath.

--
Siep Kroonenberg