Error from 'epstopdf-pkg' with luatex+polyglossia+graphicx

Uwe Siart usenet at siart.de
Mon Dec 9 10:51:26 CET 2019

Dear all,

With latest TL I'm getting a weird error where I have no idea who could
be the culprit:

When I run this MWE

---
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[babelshorthands]{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{german}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
Test
\end{document}
---

through lualatex I get in the .log:

---
(c:/Programme1/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/epstopdf-pkg/epstopdf-base.sty
Package: epstopdf-base 2019-11-30 v2.9 Base part for package epstopdf
[\directlua]:1: unexpected symbol near '\'.
l.165       \directlua{require("pdftexcmds")}

The lua interpreter ran into a problem, so the
remainder of this lua chunk will be ignored.
---

The error disappears, when I either

- remove [babelshorthands]
- comment \setdefaultlanguage{german}