versioning TeXlive packages on CTAN

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Aug 25 12:24:04 CEST 2019

Hi Mojca,

> I'm with Brook on this.

I know ;-) You told me many times!

> backups. It could just as easily fetch the versioned filenames
> directly once it has read the package versions from the database.

Yes, that would be also possible, to drop the unversioned completely.

> daily updates would also create one versioned tarball with all the
> packages from a collection (split into run / doc / src), ignoring

That is what Debian does on a checkout, more or less.
It is just that from 4Gb it suddenly gets to 8Gb ..

> would be really handy to also archive a few dozen such tarballs next
> to "TeX Live 2020 archive" (on the historic FTP or wherever).

And then others come and ask for single package archives back for a year
or more ... and then we speak about 100 times the archive size.

> checks for changes in texlive database file ... and finally makes a
> separate git repository for every single package from TeX Live and

That should be much easier now starting from the git svn mirror, but
still, it is a pain.

> equivalent of archiving contents of individual packages as they change
> over time. If pushing those repositories on GitHub, GitLab or any
> other site (provided one wouldn't hit constraints), one could use the

No way, too big.

I recently discussed with colleague about asking github for an exception
for the size, so that we can push the full texlive to gh, but I (or
someone instead of me) needs to contact gh, and it would be good to have
prior contact beforehand.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev