Packages that need compiling

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Aug 21 23:03:02 CEST 2019

Hi Ernesto,

    "die 'skipping, compilation'". Does that mean that the package will
    never be shipped with TeXLive?

Not necessarily "never".

    Do I need to do something special
    because the package needs compilation?

You already used Automake, which is the main prerequisite, in principle.

However, generally speaking, when a package requires compilation, I
await a request from the author or a user before I incorporate it into
the build tree. It takes a chunk of time to include a new compiled
program. And, as Zdenek said, it wouldn't show up until the next year's
TL in any case.

    Would it help if I ported the executable to Perl/Lua?

Yes, that would be great. Then I could install it (and any future
updates) right away. And it's a lot less effort all around.

By the way, the man page pamphletanglerman.1 (thank you for including
it) may as well be named pamphletangler.1, since that's what it has to
be installed as.

Thanks for writing (both the program and the email :),
Karl