Error in tlmrg/tlshell on Win7

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 18:30:39 CEST 2019

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 at 12:26, Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at bitmuis.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 04:52:50PM +0200, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> >
> > Am 21.08.2019 um 11:32 schrieb Siep Kroonenberg:
> >
> > > Start a command-prompt (an administrative command-prompt if it is an
> > > administrative install) and give the following two commands:
> > >
> > > tlmgr update --self
> > > tlmgr update tlshell
> >
> > Hi, Siep and thank you for your prompt reply. I encountered several
> > problems:
> >
> > the first:
> >
> > ...Detailed command logging to "K:\texlive\2019\temp\update-self.log"
> > failed self update: texlive.infra (51232 -> 51561) texlive.infra.win32
> > (50798 -> 51563)
> > Rolling back to previous version ...
> > failed self restore: texlive.infra (51232) texlive.infra.win32 (50798)
> > FATAL ERROR:
> > Infrastructure update failed and backup recovery failed too.
>
> Maybe Norbert undestands better what went wrong.
>
> > To repair your TeX Live installation download and run:
> > http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/update-tlmgr-latest.exe
> >
> > I then loaded update-tlmgr-latest.exe and ran that with admistrator
> rights.
> >
> > I stopped with
>
> [Error opening file for writing: K:\texlive\2019\bin\win32\runscript.dll]
>
> > Only when ignoring and skipping this file , I could get tlmgr updated. I
> > do not see why the program wants to write to the dll file. TLMGR works
> > again.
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> runscript.dll is part of the infrastructure, which is being updated.
> Since there have been no recent changes in this file, you are
> probably ok.
>
> Maybe the file was in use. Windows does not like to overwrite files
> which are in use.

It is recommended practice to close all applications and restart Windows
before doing installs to avoid the possibility of an update failing on an
"in use" file that is being replaced by the update.   This is becoming more
important as tools like pandoc are used behind the scenes (e.g., RStudio,
nbconvert).

--
George N. White III