TeX Live future access in danger

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Fri Apr 12 22:30:52 CEST 2019

The SANS security list today carries a pointer to this story:

	Google Chrome engineers want to block some HTTP file downloads
	https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-chrome-engineers-want-to-block-some-http-file-downloads/

The story notes:

>> According to a proposal the browser maker has put forward yesterday,
>> only the download of certain "high-risk" file types will be blocked by
>> default.
>>
>> This includes EXE (Windows application binary), DMG (Mac application
>> binary), CRX (Chrome extension package), and all the major archive
>> formats, like ZIP, GZIP, BZIP, TAR, RAR, and 7Z.

I personally view this as totally wrong-headed, and also easily
subverted by the creation of encrypted data streams transferred under
innocuous names.  Nevertheless, if implemented, it could be a
significant problem for Web sites with downloadable content, include
TeX Live and CTAN mirrors.