Tlshell wrapper

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Wed Apr 3 14:08:25 CEST 2019

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 11:33:10AM +0000, Taylor, P wrote:
> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>
> > As to Phil Taylor's problems with tlshell: I really do not
> > understand where they could come from, but he might try this update
> > anyway.
> >

> Sadly not — the same symptoms as previously.  However, I successfully
> installed TeX Live 2019 (pre-test) on a Win-7 64-bit office machine
> recently, and there I could launch TLshell without running as
> Administrator, so the problem may be local to my home (Fujitsu Celsius,
> 64-bit, Win-7-Enterprise, 16GB, i7) machine.  I wonder whether there
> might be some conflict with a previous "Install as administrator"
> installation.  Given that I have /TeX/Legacy/{2009, 2010, 2011, 2012,
> 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017}, /TeX/Live and /TeX/Lambda (the latter two
> being the 2018 final and 2019 pre-test installations), is there any
> reasonably straightforward way of investigating whether any may have
> been installed as Administrator ?
>
> ** Phil.

If there was an uninstall key in the HKLM part of the registry, you
should have gotten a UAC prompt. So I am also thinking of too
restrictive or corrupted permissions somewhere in the TL directory
tree, or overly active malware protection, or another problem
outside of TL. But I am basically out of ideas.

--
Siep Kroonenberg