[tex-live] (no subject)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Sep 29 01:03:30 CEST 2018

    So the -9 gain in your example, which indeed is very significant

Thanks for analyzing this, Michael.

I might have actually given up on xz -9 before it finished. I don't
remember for sure any more what I tried. I know -9 was not a practical
thing to do on the entire TL distribution.

It's true there are relatively few files that are >8,16,32 mb. I also
worry that the increased memory requirements on the user's side might
end up being a problem.

    the file collection into a few dozen .tar "parts" compress those

Yeah. Well, one year at a time ... --thanks again, karl.