[tex-live] (no subject)

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Sep 28 16:15:36 CEST 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:01:03PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018, texlive at schoepfer.info wrote:
>> As a sidenote, maybe it's worth looking at lzip. It won't compress better,
>> but it seems to be safer and therefor somehow better, see
>> https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html
>
> Lots of statements, but not really convincing.

  Indeed not.  The point, repeated many times, that the xz format is
inadequate for long-term archiving is not really an issue for TeX Live.
I’m also amused by the statement that the format is “unreasonably
extensible” :-)

  And, needless to say, it weakens the argument that the writer is also
the author of the competing program, even if he’s being honest and
discloses it.

	Best,

		Arthur