[tex-live] (no subject)

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Sun Sep 23 02:59:46 CEST 2018

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 09:28:36 +0900
Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Not at all. If you are running Unix and install to a vfat/fat32 system
> then you are hosed ;-)

What I mean is, a user is running MS Windows with a FAT32 filesystem,
and they want to install Tex Live on it using the DVD. They can do
that, right?

But, I do see a big problem with regard to running directly on a USB drive
(The "Live" part of TeX Live) on filesystems without symlinks. I suppose
the linked files would just have to be duplicated, and then there would
have to be a data file that contains all the link information. During
installation to filesystem that does have symlink ability, the duplicate
("link") files are simply replaced with symlinks instead of being copied
as-is. Well, something like that.

  Mike