[tex-live] A Simple Recommendation

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:53:29 CEST 2018

pá 21. 9. 2018 v 2:45 odesílatel Lahcene ROUANI
<rouani.lahcene at gmail.com> napsal:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
>  I want to mention that many answers in the Tex.se site are misleading. One reason is that You have gave me good information about setting a path locally or globally. I didn't came across any of this before.

Setting PATH (or environment in general) is rather a Linux topic, it
is not TeX Live specific. Console applications take settings from
~/.bashrc while GUI programs from ~/.bash_profile. Thus if you set
PATH in ~/.bashrc, TL will work from the terminal but not from TeX
Studio. On my computer .bash_profile reads .bashrc so that I have the
same settings on both places. However, to make the changes visible in
the terminal it is sufficient to start the terminal od even by:

. ~/.bashrc

In order to make it visible in GUI apps you have to restart GUI either
by logging off and on or by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Best regards

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz