[tex-live] (no subject)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Sep 18 23:54:01 CEST 2018

Hi Luis - thanks for your further explanations. My immediate reaction is
that it would be better to delete the "Environment variables: Global
configuration" section from the manual than write further explanations
there, because, as already mentioned in that section:

    .... there is just too much variation between systems in how and
    where these things are configured.

Thus, it would be better not to give the "hints" at all than hints
which proved to be problematic for you and probably others.

In my view, anyone who needs to install the native TL globally (rare
indeed, IMHO), as opposed to for themselves, should have enough
experience with software installation not to need a cookie-cutter recipe
(which we can't provide).

For the majority for whom self-installation suffices,
http://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html is my attempt at a minimal
installation. (I just changed i386-linux to x86_64-linux there, BTW. :)
The same information with more explanations is in the manual.

Thanks again,
Karl