[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:15:03 CEST 2018

st 12. 9. 2018 v 11:08 odesílatel Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 03:40, Peter Selinger wrote:
> >
> > My only concern would be if people install the pdfx package
> > individually from CTAN,
>
> Who would want to do that? I'm not claiming there are no such
> individuals around, but installing it is tedious.
>
> Like already mentioned, the TDS structure is flattened on CTAN, so the
> user would need to place every single file individually into the
> proper location in the TEXMF tree.

CTAN allows to upload the TDS version in addition to the flattened version
but only some packages are uploaded in both forms.

> > they have to go through the extra (and not
> > obvious) step of installing the new icc package as well.
>
> Also, if the user wants to install everything from scratch from CTAN,
> what about all the fonts and all the other packages that are needed to
> compile a simple document? Doing that without a TeX distribution is
> literally a nightmare.

There are too many packages which simply do not work if another package is
missing. Taking just a single package from CTAN is useful if it consists of
one file plu documentation, otherwise it is a nightmare...

> And inside TL the dependency can easily be implemented by adding a
> line to tlpsrc if such a package exists.
>
> > I don't see
> > any significant downside to simply making this 2k file part of the
> > pdfx package,
>
> Other than the licence which apparently prohibits inclusion into TeX
> Live in the first place?
>
> Mojca

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz