[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 12 00:19:35 CEST 2018

    Please put it somewhere under "generic" rather than "latex",

I think we all agree on that.

    - sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black_scaled.icc is not free enough for TL, but OK
    for TLContrib?
Yes.

    - For ECI we need some clarification before it becomes clear whether
    they are OK even for TLContrib?
Yes.

    - Ghostscript profiles should probably be OK for TL as well (might
    need some additional checking first)?

I would say "Debian" profiles rather than "Ghostscript", though it may
come to the same thing in this case. It's much more likely that Debian
has checked licenses with approximately the same criteria as TL.

    since ConTeXt distribution is not being sold on the DVD like TL,

It's irrelevant whether TL is, in fact, being sold on DVD (that is,
nothing would change if Lehmann stopped selling the DVD). What matters
is that people (anyone) have the legal ability to do so. That's part of
being free-as-in-freedom software, in the definition that we use in our
little world.

If the ConTeXt distribution decides to admit nonfree files, that's a
major policy change (as far as I know; maybe it's already happened?).
For one thing, we have to be sure that any such files are excluded when
ConTeXt is imported into TL. --thanks, karl.