[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 13:02:15 CEST 2018

út 11. 9. 2018 v 12:20 odesílatel Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>
napsal:

> Hi Zdenek,
>
> well said, I didn't want to go into that much details. But don't you
> have the experience that for normal printing (that is not art books etc)
> printers nowadays accept RGB?
>
> For the last book project (collection of scientific papers) I prepared
> everything with CMYK etc only to be told they need it in RGB :-(

It is strange. When I prepare posters for conferences, I do it in RGB
because these small shops accept  files from normal users who know nothing
about colours abd send RGB. When I prepare a real book, they always require
CMYK converted by me to the correct ICC profile and refuse RGB. Once they
told me that thay intentionally switched the automatic colour conversion
off. Once I was just the man in the middle, the author refused to convert
the image from RGB and did not require exect colours. Then the personnel
enabled colour conversion upon my special written request. They can even
automatically convert RGB to grayscale but again, there are several
strategies for such conversin and the automatic conversion need not be the
right one.

> Anyway, back on topic - you seem to be technically well versed here, can
> you suggest a profile that should be used by default unless a user
> defines one in pdfx package?

If a tool is aware of ICC profiles, then majority  of them uses sRGB as
default so it seems logical to have it as a default profile in the pdfx
package.