[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 11 01:13:49 CEST 2018

Hi Reinhard, Karl and others.

On 11 Sep 2018, at 8:38 am, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de<mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de>> wrote:

On my Raspberry I just installed the Debian icc-profiles-free package
and now there is a file

 /usr/share/color/icc/ghostscript/srgb.icc

If Debian considers ghostscript/srgb.icc as free, isn't it free enough
for TeX Live as well?  The file contains

 "Copyright Artifex Software 2011"

Is this license appropriate for TeX Live?  I think so because
otherwise neither Debian nor TeX Live can provide Ghostscript.

Debian also provides a file

  /usr/share/color/icc/sRGB.icc

which obviously comes from LCMS and contains

 "no copyright, use freely"

Nicely said.  Sounds like "public domain" at a first glance.  But who
is the author and where does the stuff come from?

After all, I think that if all GNU/Linux distributions already provide
Ghostscript, there is no obvious reason not to ship a file which is
part of it with the pdfx package.

Probably best is to ship a copy of this (i.e., one of these – which one?)
in the  …/tex/latex/pdfx/  directory.

Another possibility is to specify the full path to it, where needed in
the source of  pdfx.sty .
The problem with this is that it needs to work on all platforms, so the
syntax of the path (or the path itself) could be different.
Maybe Ghostscript isn’t even installed in some cases, since GS normally
isn’t needed when pdfTeX is the engine ?

But there is one aspect of this that I don’t have the expertise in color usage to decide.
How different are the various profiles?
What is the difference between them? Does it matter?
If we make a choice, then there should be a reason for it, concerning the actual
colour output, either on-screen or when printed with different devices.

It would be good to have some explanation included within the  pdfx  documentation,
addressing this issue. That is, saying when it is best to stick with the default,
and when it is advisable to apply a different Colour profile, perhaps with some
examples of when alternatives are either useful or needed.

Who can help with this?

Regards,
 Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
—————————————————————————————————

Cheers.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>