[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Sep 7 03:34:23 CEST 2018

Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer.

> downloaded the file sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black_scaled.icc from ICC in
> 2015, I copied and pasted the exact license that came with it into the
> file ICC_LICENSE.txt, and I did not alter the text of the license. The

Interesting. They seem to have a big mess up there ;-)

>  It is hereby acknowledged that the file "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black
>  scaled.icc" is provided "AS IS" WITH NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY.
>
> These words were not written by me. They were copied and pasted from

Well, these words are anyway irrelevant, what counts is the next
paragraph you included
	 Licensing

	 This profile is made available by the International Color Consortium,
	 and may be copied, distributed, embedded, made, used, and sold without
	 restriction. Altered versions of this profile shall have the original
	 identification and copyright information removed and shall not be
	 misrepresented as the original profile.

The current license statement as also written by Ross and found in the
Debian package is quite different:
	 To anyone who acknowledges that the files
	 "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_no_black_scaling.icc" and
	 "sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black scaled.icc" are provided "AS IS" WITH NO
	 EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, permission to use, copy and distribute
	 these file for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
	 that the files are not changed including the ICC copyright notice
	 tag, and that the name of ICC shall not be used in advertising or
	 publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without
	 specific, written prior permission. ICC makes no representations
	 about the suitability of this software for any purpose.

In particular does not allow for changes.

> It is possible that ICC has decided some time after 2015 to distribute
> that file under a different license. However, since I downloaded it in
> 2015, the terms from 2015 still apply, because a license, once granted,
> cannot be retroactively changed.

Indeed, you are right in this respect, but we are probably having a hard
time arguing that.

I am not a laywer, and although I think it would be worth it, I as
private person will not stand up in this fight. If the FSF or whoever
wants to fight for a clarification, that would be great, but well...

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer