[tex-live] tl2016,tl2018: broken psnup shipped

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Sep 2 04:47:01 CEST 2018

Hi Reinhard,

On Sat, 01 Sep 2018, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> I'm not writing for the TeX world, psutils is packaged in Debian, and was
> originally written to be highly portable.

I agree with everything Reuben said, the core point being that people
should NOT develop for TeX Live ...:
- lua is not available everywhere, and when portability is required,
  Perl is much better
- stripping the extensions is absolutely correct in the usual procedure.
  It is only TL that reuses links.

> At least in this case it seems there's an easy fix to all the problems
> you've mentioned, though I'd be interested to know what TeXLive does with
> packages that install a mixture of compiled programs and scripts (where the
> suggestion I made above would not work). Autotools is sufficiently widely
> used that this problem must have been solved before.

It depends ;-) Most probably if it is a "program/package" that needs
compilation, updates will be defered till the next release.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer