[tex-live] [tex-hyphen] Hyphenation exception files

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Sep 1 21:54:50 CEST 2018

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 08:03:36PM +0200, Keno Wehr wrote:
> What is the policy concerning global hyphenation exception files?

  When there is a default set of hyphenation exceptions, they’re loaded
in the format together with the patterns.  That’s currently the case for
21 languages and variants; see the hyph-*.tex files provided by
hyph-utf8, which when applicable contains both patterns and exceptions.

> As far as I can see, TeX Live provides three exception files:
> - dehyphtex.tex (for the old patterns for the old German spelling; this file
>   concerns only pdftex, as xetex and luatex use the newer patterns)
> - ushyphex.tex (for American English)
> - frhyphex.tex (for French)

  You’re looking in the wrong place.  The standard files are under
texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/.  The three files you
found are alternatives that came about for different reasons, which is
why they’re not loaded in the format.  As David explains, they can
always be loaded at runtime if desired.

	Best,

		Arthur