[tex-live] tlmgr on Win10 fails

Herbert Voss Herbert.Voss at fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 20 13:30:25 CET 2018

Am 20.11.18 um 09:17 schrieb Herbert Voss:
> Am 18.11.18 um 21:02 schrieb Herbert Voss:
>> Am 17.11.18 um 04:38 schrieb Norbert Preining:
>>
>>> Do you have a program
>>>     xz
>>> installed in your Windows somewhere.
>>
>> I'll forward it to our system administrator, because I am only
>> on Friday in the computer lab. I'll report what happens.
>
> Yes, that was/is the problem. a xz.exe from 2011. Now we must see
> if we can simply replace that old version with a new one.

We cannot replace the "old" xz.exe, because it is the same
version as the one if installing MinGW, which is used by others
here. We have many hundreds of computers which are managed from a
central system, so changing old things is always an option with
very low priority.

However, is there any possibility that one can force tlmgr
to search first in its own directories for binaries?

Herbert