[tex-live] New installer GUI

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Tue Nov 20 11:24:10 CET 2018

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 04:02:43PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Dear Siep,
>
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 15:24, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>
> Amazing, thank you very much :) :) :),
> and a bunch of roses to the Netherlands.
>
> On my Mac it works like a charm.
> OK, I first had to reinstall Tk via MacPorts to use quartz by default,
> but it worked under X11 as well, and I tested it under the default Tcl
> later as well.
> I didn't know that Tcl apparently doesn't yet support high resolution
> displays, but that's ok.
> It would make sense for someone with the black background & 10.14 to test it.

I do have 10.14. There, HiDPI works fine with the built-in Tcl/Tk,
but dark mode is ignored.

> Some minor feature requests and bug reports:
> - My personal feature request would be the ability to specify the
> precise path to `wish` (and honour that one if/when present).

What about letting the wrapper code inside install-tl check for an
environment variable WISH? You can also invoke the tcl installer
directly with a wish of your choice:

<your_wish> <installer_root>/tlpkg/installer/install-tl-gui.tcl

In the tcl case, the initial invokation of install-tl just serves as
a simple wrapper which hands control over to tcl, which in turn
invokes install-tl as a backend process. This may change in the 2019
release.

> - Collections cannot be resized.
> - Main window can be resized, but when resized towards smaller
> dimensions there's no scrollbar on the bottom or on the right, the
> layout gets messed up in vertical direction and inaccessible in the
> horizontal one.
> - The schemes window is initially too small to fit all the translated
> strings. If shrinked, items become inaccessible.
> - Making "installation root" too small is also somewhat problematic.
> - When I click the red cross on "Installation root" to close it
> (instead of clicking cancel), I get "Error: can't read "wnd": no such
> variable" and I cannot close the window.
> - Clicking the red cross to close the main installation window is also
> not handled in a proper way (I cannot even exit the program then,
> other than forcing the close).
> - Instead of "Select all" and "Remove selections" buttons in
> Collections it would be more natural (similar to how other software
> works) to have a checkbox in the header to achieve the same, but
> that's a super small priority. One could then also only disable
> languages, or only other collections.

I'll address some of these points in the next update.

> - "Portable setup" could have a checkbox rather than a button with long text.

I opted for a button just to have yes/no in the middle column.

> (I assume that so far we only have an installer, no updater yet.)

Actually, I am putting some finishing touches on tlshell, but this
got interrupted by the feedback on the installer. Stay tuned.

--
Siep Kroonenberg