[tex-live] Query about 'tar' and some windows/linux scripts

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Nov 16 01:53:06 CET 2018

Hi Pablo,

many have answered already, here a few more points:

> 1. The latest update of Win 10 (October) has installed by default
> "tar" and "curl", for future versions of TeXLive, is it possible to
> detect the windows version or detect if "tar" is installed in the
> system? , to avoid installing it twice :)

The tar on Win10 is useless. Our code at some point actually preferred
the shipped tar, but that ended in tears. It is a bare bone boring
bsdtar that does not support the necessary options.

And even if, we still need to install tar since we might install on Win7
systems where there is no tar available.

> 2. I know that in the directory
> "/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive" there are proper scripts
> and necessary for the operation of "texlive", my queries are as
> follows (full texlive installed 2018 in win10pro x64 , without cgywin,
> as in fedora 29 x64)

Summing up the scripts size is about less then one photo from your
digital camera or mobile phone ... are you serious about stripping that
down?

No, that is too much work just for the brain damaged Windows system to
which we already have to dedicate a huge amount of special code.

> b) "uninstall-win32.pl" script is necessary in linux? (in windows
> perhaps the correct location would be /texlive/2018/tlpkg/installer)

As above.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer