[tex-live] Query about 'tar' and some windows/linux scripts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 22:53:44 CET 2018

čt 15. 11. 2018 v 22:40 odesílatel Pablo Alfonso González Luengo <
pablgonz at educarchile.cl> napsal:

> > With respect, "a couple of megabytes more or less" really isn't anything
> more than noise . . .
> Yes, but, it's a file less than updating ... that's advantage
>
> > @Zdeněk Wagner..."If curl and tar were supplied by Microsoft as a
> default part of Windows, it could be under control"
> To this I mean precisely ... according to
> (
> https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2017/12/19/tar-and-curl-come-to-windows/
> )
> will now be an integral part of windows, I assume that the developers
> of this operating system take them seriously.
> On the other hand, if total compatibility between systems is desired,
> nowadays it is possible to use WSL and install a reduced version of
> "debian" for example and have access to "tar" and "curl" to check
> compatibilities.
> Anyway, it's just an idea ... (I know curl is a problem, for some
> reason TeXLive still uses the classic wget)

I keep my Windows 7 updated. I have just tried "tar --help" and the system
found GNU tar, not bsdtar. In addition, I have 7zip which should probably
be able to cope with the *.tar files but I have not tried.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz