[tex-live] [debian-refcard] Help needed with xmlroff -> dblatex migration

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:58:35 CEST 2018

2018-05-29 20:21 GMT+02:00 Holger Wansing <hwansing at mailbox.org>:

> Hi,
> Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> > Hi Holger,
> >
> > > - and the resulting tex file.
> >
> > I just tried the resulting tex file, and at least to my feeling it works
> > more or less (cannot read Hebrew, sorry, on my list). I attach the
> > generated .pdf
> >
> > There are two places where xelatex hangs:
> I was able to get around these errors (so far).
> Problem seems to be, that babel is used, and also polyglossia (as Zdenek
> already mentioned). When I set
>         <xsl:param name="latex.babel.use">0</xsl:param>
> the build is working fine without errors, so when forcing to not use babel
> at all.
> Is there a more proper way to disable babel? Like it is now, I have babel
> disabled completely, means: for all languages, while I'm not sure, if
> babel
> may probably be needed for some language (maybe Arabic?)
> (The refcard is currently built for 32 languages from the same source).
> I am not aware of any language supported in babel and not supported in
polyglossia but I am aware of languages supported in polyglossia but
unsupported in babel. Arabic, Urdu, Persian, Hindi, Marathi, Malayalam,
Telugu, all they work fine in polyglossia if proper fonts are loaded. All
encoding packages should be removed, everything is in Unicode.

I personally do not have much experience with dblatex, I use other XML
formats (usually with Relax NG scheme created by me for a specific purpose)
and writing the stylesheet from scratch, se e.g.

> A problem I have now:
> In the hebrew *PDF*, RTL direction is not honored correctly:
> When looking at each word, it is fine (means RTL inside of the word), but
> the
> order of the words is LTR.
> However, in the *tex* file everything seems to looks fine.
> What can be done about this?

That's what I wrote. XeTeX does not implement the bidi algorithm in full,
the words contain letters correctly from right to left but the words are
still placed from left to right. You must use explicitly commands from the
bidi package.

> I have attached the generated tex file, the pdf generated from that, and
> another pdf, which was build with xmlroff (the old build method; this pdf
> is
> confirmed from Hebrew translator to be fine, so this is the reference).
> Thanks
> Holger

Zdeněk Wagner

> --
> Holger Wansing <hwansing at mailbox.org>
> PGP-Finterprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/attachments/20180529/4e96fbdf/attachment.html>

More information about the tex-live mailing list