[tex-live] [debian-refcard] Help needed with xmlroff -> dblatex migration

Holger Wansing hwansing at mailbox.org
Thu May 24 11:04:00 CEST 2018

[I am not subscribed to this list.]

Hi,

I am trying to get rid of xmlroff in the build chain for Debian refcard
(https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#refcard)
but I am apparently overstrained with this.

xmlroff is used for Hebrew and Arabic (and additionally Malayalam, but that
translation is badly outdated, so it's probably not worse to spent time on it).

To simplify the dependencies and the build chain itself, we would like to
move Hebrew and Arabic to dblatex, as it is already with the rest of the
languages.

However, I am unable to get correct PDFs built so far.

There are two main points:
1. which fonts to use? (I was told to use Amiri font for Arabic, but I have
   no advise so far for Hebrew; I read something about Dejavu font, but could
   not get the PDF built with it.)

2. configuration examples

A browsable URL for the sources is here:
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/refcard

I have filed a bugreport against debian-refcard, to track this:

And I received patches/snippets for this migration, which I have collected
here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?att=1;bug=824222;filename=switch-to-dblatex.diff;msg=5

Maybe someone can help me with this?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing at mailbox.org>
PGP-Finterprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076