[tex-live] Has anything changed in the order TL searches for packages?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 17 00:30:19 CEST 2018

    [fake dir already mentioned]

Right, sorry.

There is no intentional change in the path search list, and I doubt (but
don't know for a fact) that Debian made such a change either.

BTW, it does not reproduce for me with native TL.

    lualatex finds the package in /usr/share/texlive
    rather than that in ~/texmf. (While still kpsewhich finds the one
    installed in $TEXMFHOME).

    Anything I have to update or can do to investigate?

1) Since lualatex is involved, I'd start with mv ~/.texlive2018{,-prev}
and see if it does any better. E.g., I wonder if the move of the
lyluatex files in the update obsoleted its cache, but lualatex didn't
notice. (The behavior of the lua(la)tex caching is unknown to me.)

2) The output of kpsewhich -var-value TEXMF might be interesting to
ensure that $TEXMFHOME really does appear before $TEXMFDIST. I get:

{{}/u/karl/.texlive2018/texmf-config,/u/karl/.texlive2018/texmf-var,/u/karl/texmf,!!/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local,!!/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-config,!!/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-var,!!/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist}

(The empty braces at the beginning look weird but are ok.)

3) You can see exactly what is being searched with
  lualatex -kpathsea-debug=-1 lyluatex.sty </dev/null 2>/tmp/debug
The output will be lengthy but should be definitive. Feel free to send
it to me (gzipped) if need be. --best, karl.