[tex-live] Has anything changed in the order TL searches for packages?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed May 16 16:50:50 CEST 2018

It seems that you have TL from a Debian package, so I cannot be specific.
Anyway, after fresh update (using TL from TUG) I see that ~/texmf is
searched first. Specificaly my .../web2c/texmf.cnf says:

% List all the texmf trees. For an explanation of what they are, see the
% TeX Live manual.
%
% For texconfig to work properly, TEXMFCONFIG and TEXMFVAR should be named
% explicitly and before other trees.
%
% TEXMFLOCAL precedes TEXMFDIST because locally-installed versions
% should take precedence over distribution files -- although it is
% generally a source of confusion to have different versions of a
% package installed, whatever the trees, so try to avoid it.
%
% The odd-looking $TEXMFAUXTREES$TEXMF... construct is so that if no
auxtree is
% ever defined (the 99% common case), no extra elements will be added to
% the search paths. tlmgr takes care to end any value with a trailing comma.
TEXMF =
{$TEXMFAUXTREES$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFDIST}

Maybe you have some forgotten TeX specific environment variable or your
local texmf.cnf

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz