[tex-live] bug report of bibtex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 14 00:04:55 CEST 2018

    since bibtex8 uses the TEXINPUTS path for its .aux file search.

Huh. That should not have happened, but I certainly won't change it at
this late date.

    whether this is a TeXLive responsibility

Not TL per se (theoretically "tex-k" rather than "tex-live", but it
hardly makes a difference nowadays), but it's fine to write here.

        bibtex output/main.aux
    Then the search for subsidiary .aux files is changed from no path to
    just the path component of the top-level aux file.  (Or to that path
    component and the current directory.)

Yes, although I think it's better to search the current directory first
(or rather, the aux-name-as-given) and look in the output subdirectory
second, because the aux-as-given is what happens now. I doubt it will be
a problem in practice.

    then it would also be useful to add that path
    component to the search path for .bib files.

That sounds to me like it has too many of those ramifications you
mentioned :). I presume this can be solved now by setting BIBINPUTS to
include the output directory, so I'd rather not change the code here.

Thanks,
Karl