[tex-live] TL2018: Problems with filenames

TANAKA Takuji ttk at t-lab.opal.ne.jp
Fri May 11 16:21:08 CEST 2018

Hi,
I (takuji) had proposed the "command_line_encoding" function on Windows
in 2014, firstly written for (e)upTeX.

 > Could it have bad side effects (e.g. for older windows or for other
 > locales) if the line is there by default?
If a latex input file coded by latin-1 like fileA.tex as follows,
non-ascii-A.tex cannot be opened with "command_line_encoding=utf-8".
On the other hand, a latex input file coded by utf-8 like fileB.tex as follows,
non-ascii-A.tex can be opened with "command_line_encoding=utf-8".

I do not recommend for someone who prefer legacy encoding
to set "command_line_encoding=utf-8".

 > for older windows
I do not expect to work the function on Windows ME or 95 or older.
I think it's OK on Windows NT, 2000 or later.

 > And if yes, how can someone who wants to disable the setting again
 > in a local texmf.cnf do it? With an empty argument?
Please set as following:
command_line_encoding=none

===== fileA.tex =====
% -*- coding: latin-1 -*-