[tex-live] Deployment of TL 2018 (on multiple computers): release or updated?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:32:30 CEST 2018

> Le 09/05/18 à 18h19, Zdenek Wagner a écrit :

> >:

> >> I guess so.

> >> That's what I'm planning :) See my first answer to Norbert:
> >
> > Generally, .iso is just a file system of CD/DVD. Using mkisofs (or
> > equivalent) you can put into it whatever you wish. You can thus put
> > there the installed TEXMF tree.
>
> Okay.
>
> > A Linux user will mount it and modify PATH. A Windows user will mount
> > it and will have to do something via tlmgr to make it known by the
> > system. Yes, it is difficult for Windows users but you could probably
> > make an Autorun which will do it automatically when the .iso is
> > mounted.
>
> Is all of this necessary? IIRC, the `.iso' file I created contained the
> whole content of the TL's `Master' folder (hence maybe not only the
> tlnet folder: my fault), hence contained `install-tl' and
> `install-tl-windows.bat' which could be run as usually.

Yes, everything is self-located. The binary must be found via PATH setting
and all remaining files are located relatively to the binary. Nothing is
written back to the TEXMF trees, so read/only mount is sufficient. It does
not matter whether you run it from a local disk, from a CD, a USB, from a
network mount. From time to time I even mount .iso which is not on my local
disk but on a shared network drive, everything works.

> --
> Denis

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz