[tex-live] tlmgr update failure

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 5 00:36:31 CEST 2018

    > I did an successful installation of TL2018 for Linux and Win32

Apparently not successful, or tlmgr update --self would work.

    > tlmgr update --self --all

Try running tlmgr update --self, without --all.

    > /usr/local/texlive/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr: open
    > tlpdb(http://texlive.lukasczyk.me/tlpkg/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb) failed:  at
    > /usr/local/texlive/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 362.

For one thing, it seems xzdec is missing from your installation, likely
somehow due to installing for both x86_64-linux and win32. I don't
understand what is happening.

Also, that url is wrong -- it has a doubled .../tlpkg/tlpkg/...
Visiting in a browser, it works with one /tlpkg/.
You could try running:
 tlmgr option repo http://texlive.lukasczyk.me/
(No /tlpkg/ in the repository url.)

    > Running check runfiles:
    > # afoot.sty
    > diff /usr/local/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/arabtex/afoot.sty
    > /usr/local/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ledmac/afoot.sty

These are known discrepancies, unrelated to the installation problem.

    > update-tlmgr-latest.sh
    > tar: win32: Funktion stat fehlgeschlagen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
    > gefunden
    > tar: Beende mit Fehlerstatus aufgrund vorheriger Fehler
    > cp: Aufruf von stat für 'installer/xz/xzdec.win32' nicht möglich: Datei
    > oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Well, it's true that installer/xz/xzdec.win32 does not exist. The
Windows executable is named installer/xz/xzdec.exe. But it is not
present in update-tlmgr-latest.sh at all.

> Thankx for any hint how to go further on

Failing all the above, maybe try the Windows recovery executable (on
Windows), update-tlmgr-latest.exe. -k